I thought maybe there was a setting there that got goofed up. Since keyboard does not work on boot up I can't get to BIOS.
Gene
--- On Mon, 12/26/11, RogerX19 <helpmeroger@earthlink.net> wrote:
From: RogerX19 <helpmeroger@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Simply Computers] Re: Dell Inspiron 1545 keyboard problems
To: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, December 26, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hi
No, you can't...why do you ask?
--- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "multiuseguy" <multiuseguy@...> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
> Have tried to install driver and keep getting "windows has determined the best drive is already installed". Question, can I get at the BIOS after the computer boots up?
> Gene
>
> --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "RogerX19" <helpmeroger@> wrote:
> >
> > Well, continuing on:
> >
> > The keyboard has a chip on the motherboard called the keyboard controller.
> >
> > I believe USB keyboards (whether wired or wireless) do not use this chip, but use the USB controller chip instead.
> >
> > As both types of keyboards (built in and external) exhibit the same symptoms, the cause seems to be deeper.
> >
> > There are "chipset drivers", which control the interface between the main CPU chip and the rest of the hardware.
> >
> > I would try installing new chipset drivers from Dell, to see if that fixes it.
> >
> > Try the Intel driver listed under Chipsets here:
> >
> > http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
> >
> > rogerX
> >
> > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "RogerX19" <helpmeroger@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I can see your frustration.
> > >
> > > It simply does not make sense.
> > >
> > > You've tried everything I can think of ... until I or one of the others thinks of something else.
> > >
> > > stay tuned
> > >
> > > ps are you in the So. California area, by any chance?
> > >
> > > rogerX
> > >
> > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "multiuseguy" <multiuseguy@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Greetings RogerX19,
> > > >
> > > > I finally was able to get past the setup screen by just tapping the backspace key which put garbage in the user field. After switching user, to same user, to get the keyboard to function changed user name to something that made sense. Shut down and rebooted up with same keyboard problems. Shut down.
> > > >
> > > > Hooked up USB keyboard, restarted with same results. Only works after switching user even if it's the same user. Shut down.
> > > >
> > > > Removed USB keyboard and attached wireless one. Computer booted up with same problem. Only works after switching user even if it's the same user. Shut down removed wireless keyboard.
> > > >
> > > > Booted up with Kanotix disk. Laptop keyboard performs fine on boot up and beyond. Exited Kanotix disk and rebooted. Computer would not start and went into automatic repair mode. Windows could not make repairs to startup. Manually shut down computer.
> > > >
> > > > Since I had not had my laugh for the day I restarted computer thinking all was lost. However computer started but keyboard would not function until I re-selected a user. I selected the same user, keyboard worked as it always does when I perform this action.
> > > >
> > > > Created another user and shut down computer. Re-booted to new user. Same problem with keyboard. In reviewing update history they are KB981889 and KB2310138. There are 103 important updates waiting for download.
> > > >
> > > > I purchased this unit used and all worked fine for many months until the other day. This is starting to go beyond frustration.
> > > >
> > > > Gene
> > > >
> > > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "RogerX19" <helpmeroger@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Yes, that is baffling.
> > > > >
> > > > > It would indicate that you have a bad keyboard, but you already tried a Kanotix disc (linux Live CD) and had no keyboard problems.
> > > > >
> > > > > If you live in the So. Calif area, I would love to take a look at that laptop.
> > > > >
> > > > > Otherwise, please see if you can borrow that Kanotix disc, and try booting from it again.
> > > > >
> > > > > You said the keyboard used to work sometimes, so maybe it just happened to work that time you booted Kanotix?
> > > > >
> > > > > You may still have a loose keyboard connector, or possibly a defective keyboard and need to replace it.
> > > > >
> > > > > Meanwhile, I'd like to know if that successful boot to Kanotix was just a fluke.
> > > > >
> > > > > Either way, I would expect it to be either a hardware or a software problem. Reinstalling Windows as you did, and having the keyboard unresponsive, would indicate that it is not a software problem, so I think you are one step ahead.
> > > > >
> > > > > If you search YouTube, you will probably find a video on how to remove the keyboard. You don't need to completely remove it, just get it unbolted so that you can check the connections.
> > > > >
> > > > > If the connections are tight, the next thing I would do is search through eBay for a replacement keyboard.
> > > > >
> > > > > Trying an external USB keyboard will also give us more info.
> > > > >
> > > > > rogerX
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.