Monday, December 5, 2011

Re: [Simply Computers] SATA 1.5t drive seems very slow

 

I have new information.

The SYBA PCI SATA/IDE combo card model I am attempting to work with is the SYBA SD-VIA-1A2S. Even after properly installing the correct driver, the SATA port on the card still runs 60 times slower than the IDE port. But let me qualify that. You can IMPORT files into the SATA drive at full normal speed. It is when you try to EXPORT files OFF the SATA drive port that it is 1/60th normal speed. No wonder it took me weeks to realize this was a problem. So a 3 gig movie that takes 2 minutes to copy from other drives takes 2 HOURS to copy from the SATA drive on the SYBA's SATA port.

Also I tried the Startech PCISAT2IDE1 combo card from CDW.COM, but after purchase, the support tech at Startech informs me NOW after I bought it that it does NOT support drives over 500 gigs. The drive I own is 1.5 Terabyte.

Dear Roger, there are lots of combo cards, but precious few PCI combo cards with the IDE and SATA together. I wouldn't mind at all getting 2 cards (one for IDE, one for SATA) but I have no more available slots in my desktop HP-XP machine.

Will keep looking.

John

--- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "RogerX19" <helpmeroger@...> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Was there a driver disk included with the new controller card? Did you install the drivers?
>
> You didn't tell us which SYBA card it is, but newegg.com has 45 different SYBA models.
>
> Each has a number of customer reviews. You might read the reviews for the card you bought and what experiences other people had.
>
> Otherwise I would return the card, and buy a different brand.
>
> Adaptec and Promise Tech are two of the better known brands .. Rosewell is, I believe, the newegg.com "house" brand.
>
> Just read the reviews on the ones you have in mind, and compare.
>
> rogerX
>
>
>
>
>
> --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "John Graves" <clifff@> wrote:
> >
> > Well, now I'm really confused. My newly purchased SYBA brand SATA disk controller card seems to have the same problem as the original card which I thought was broken.
> >

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7). Providing 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 12,000 members Simply Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on the Internet.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2

MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.