Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Re: [Simply Computers] Re: Dell Inspiron 1545 keyboard problems

 

Sure, I will fix it if he wants to send it my way. As to the BIOS
battery, I have never found that to fix anything in a laptop. Most of
them are soldered in nowadays anyway.

Ardell Faul
Computer Monitor Service Inc.
Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
10816 E. Mission Ave.,
Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
ardell@icehouse.net
509-891-5188

On 12/27/2011 10:59 AM, RogerX19 wrote:
>
> Hi Ardell,
>
> Welcome back.
>
> As to the keyboard problem, he mentioned that as he is unable to enter
> Setup (via F2) from any keyboard, internal or external, he cannot
> check to see if there's a wrong setting.
>
> He also cannot select to reset it to factory default.
>
> I looked on YouTube for instructions on removing the CMOS battery, but
> according to two tutorials, the battery is on the reverse of the
> motherboard, and only accessible by completely disassembling the laptop.
>
> (The battery may be accessible by removing the back cover of the
> laptop, but the tutorials did not show it that way.)
>
> He is considering sending it into Dell for repair, but I suggested
> that he send it to you.
>
> Would you be willing to take a look at it, and maybe reset the BIOS by
> removing the CMOS battery?
>
> The only time the computer works correctly (without doing the Switch
> User workaround) is when he boots it from a Linux disk.
>
> I don't know if Linux reads the BIOS on bootup, but if not, and rather
> does its own hardware polling, that would explain why the built in
> keyboard works with Linux.
>
> thanks
>
> rogerX
> --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>, Ardell Faul <ardell@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings Everyone. I have been out of town visiting my relatives in
> > warm, wonderful, snow-free (really) North Dakota. All the workers who
> > are living in tents around Williston working in the newly developing
> oil
> > fields are probably laughing at all the dire warnings they have been
> > getting about the severity of No Dak Winters. I hope they don't laugh
> > too long because there is a good chance they will wake up stiff like a
> > pop sickle at 30 degrees below zero before spring hits. LOL.
> >
> > At any rate, I did see this thread before I left, but the details
> > reported to not lead in a clear direction. But one thing is pretty
> > certain--if your built-in keyboard does not work normally or let you
> > into BIOS by tapping F2, AND an external keyboard also does not let you
> > into BIOS by pressing F2, something basically wrong with the
> > motherboard. An external USB keyboard that is plugged in before you
> > turn the unit on will come up as fully functional and allow you to
> enter
> > bios by pressing F2 or to select the Boot Menu by pressing F12. If
> > neither on these features work, you have a problem that is deeper
> than a
> > keyboard problem.
> >
> >
> > Ardell Faul
> > Computer Monitor Service Inc.
> > Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
> > 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
> > Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
> > ardell@...
> > 509-891-5188
> >
> >
> > On 12/26/2011 6:10 PM, RogerX19 wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd send it to Ardell before i sent it to Dell.
> > >
> > > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>
> > > <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>, multiuseguy
> > > <multiuseguy@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > F2 for BIOS. Keys do not respond.
> > > >
> > > > My hands are about 2 time bigger than his and I have a slight case
> > > of the shakes so I don't think I will trying to deassemble this
> thing.
> > > Furthermore I probably won't remember how to get it back together
> > > again. I will play around and see if I can overcome the F2 problem.
> > > This might just have to go to Dell. Thank's for all your assistance.
> > > Will let you know if I succeed.
> > > >
> > > > Gene
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7). Providing 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 12,000 members Simply Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on the Internet.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2

MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.