Hi Ellen
I've turned mine off. I'm pretty careful about surfing and have some good
security in place. It's interesting to me to find folks who complain about
UAC. I dabble with Linux and they have UAC perfected to be a true annoyance
<g>, but I live with it.
For the grandkids, though, I think UAC and Limited user accounts are surely
the way to go. I don't want them messing with the system and they're most
likely to be asked to click on something harmful without a full
understanding of the implications of their behavior.
Vincent Winterling
Vineland, NJ
-----Original Message-----
From: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ellen Helberg-ejhcolo
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:19 PM
To: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Simply Computers] Recommendation about using/adding Standard
User in Win7
Vincent,
Thanks for your reply. The links you included were quite helpful.
While we're on the subject, what do you think of disabling User Account
Control (UAC)?
Ellen
From: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Vincent Winterling
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:37 PM
To: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Simply Computers] Recommendation about using/adding Standard
User in Win7
I think this is a good thing for those who don't really understand what
they're doing on the internet. It may also be something that also keeps even
the more experienced user honest.
My understanding of the key reason to disable admin on behalf of Standard or
Limited is that nothing will run in the limited account. It's simply
prevented. You would have to exit the limited account and login to an admin
user account to run programs. I don't think it changes your program
configurations, but you may have to arrange the new account to your liking.
It is, after all, a new user account.
http://bit.ly/vSY5m8
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/standard-user-account.shtml
Vincent Winterling
Vineland, NJ
Hi all,
I have a Dell XPS 9100, Win7 Home Premium. I have a firewall (ESET) and am
also behind a wired router.
I read in several e-newsletters that it is not a good idea to do everyday
computing logged in as a user with Administrative rights. That is what I
currently do. I have one user with Admin rights, and the Guest User is not
active.
The recommendation was to set up a Standard User, and use that to work
(e-mail, Word, Web surfing, etc.), and switch to the User with Admin rights
only when needed.
So, my questions are:
What are your thoughts about that recommendation? Should I be a Standard
User when using my computer? If you think yes, what do you recommend as the
easiest way to set up the Standard User? I want all of the programs I use
now as the User with Admin rights to be available to the Standard User. I
want the Desktop to look the same, I want Windows Explorer settings to be
the same, Firefox Bookmarks available, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Ellen
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.