Tuesday, December 27, 2011

[Simply Computers] Re: Dell Inspiron 1545 keyboard problems

 

Hi Ardell,

Welcome back.

As to the keyboard problem, he mentioned that as he is unable to enter Setup (via F2) from any keyboard, internal or external, he cannot check to see if there's a wrong setting.

He also cannot select to reset it to factory default.

I looked on YouTube for instructions on removing the CMOS battery, but according to two tutorials, the battery is on the reverse of the motherboard, and only accessible by completely disassembling the laptop.

(The battery may be accessible by removing the back cover of the laptop, but the tutorials did not show it that way.)

He is considering sending it into Dell for repair, but I suggested that he send it to you.

Would you be willing to take a look at it, and maybe reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery?

The only time the computer works correctly (without doing the Switch User workaround) is when he boots it from a Linux disk.

I don't know if Linux reads the BIOS on bootup, but if not, and rather does its own hardware polling, that would explain why the built in keyboard works with Linux.

thanks

rogerX
--- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, Ardell Faul <ardell@...> wrote:
>
> Greetings Everyone. I have been out of town visiting my relatives in
> warm, wonderful, snow-free (really) North Dakota. All the workers who
> are living in tents around Williston working in the newly developing oil
> fields are probably laughing at all the dire warnings they have been
> getting about the severity of No Dak Winters. I hope they don't laugh
> too long because there is a good chance they will wake up stiff like a
> pop sickle at 30 degrees below zero before spring hits. LOL.
>
> At any rate, I did see this thread before I left, but the details
> reported to not lead in a clear direction. But one thing is pretty
> certain--if your built-in keyboard does not work normally or let you
> into BIOS by tapping F2, AND an external keyboard also does not let you
> into BIOS by pressing F2, something basically wrong with the
> motherboard. An external USB keyboard that is plugged in before you
> turn the unit on will come up as fully functional and allow you to enter
> bios by pressing F2 or to select the Boot Menu by pressing F12. If
> neither on these features work, you have a problem that is deeper than a
> keyboard problem.
>
>
> Ardell Faul
> Computer Monitor Service Inc.
> Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
> 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
> Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
> ardell@...
> 509-891-5188
>
>
> On 12/26/2011 6:10 PM, RogerX19 wrote:
> >
> > I'd send it to Ardell before i sent it to Dell.
> >
> > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:simplycomputers2%40yahoogroups.com>, multiuseguy
> > <multiuseguy@> wrote:
> > >
> > > F2 for BIOS. Keys do not respond.
> > >
> > > My hands are about 2 time bigger than his and I have a slight case
> > of the shakes so I don't think I will trying to deassemble this thing.
> > Furthermore I probably won't remember how to get it back together
> > again. I will play around and see if I can overcome the F2 problem.
> > This might just have to go to Dell. Thank's for all your assistance.
> > Will let you know if I succeed.
> > >
> > > Gene
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7). Providing 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 12,000 members Simply Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on the Internet.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2

MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.