I do not have a dvr but I record most of what I want off TV by placing the video camera in front of the TV.
Also if I set it up. I have a VHS DVD copy machine that will record anything. I can save TV to VHS tape or DVD on it. I am using it to convert my old VHS collection to DVD. Than saving my DVDs on computer.- Jerry
--- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Gmail" <jhnidy@...> wrote:
>
> I wish I had tried this a week ago when I had a different cable provider.
> That would be one more data point. But I have watched Encore for a long
> time and only Friday did I think that they were showing something I would
> like to keep. Maybe I will try a few more channels just for grins.
>
> Google Jer
> Woodhaven, Mi
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of RogerX19
> Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:04 PM
> To: simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Simply Computers] Re: dvr recordings from Encore
>
> From what Leo Laporte has told us, it's a copy protection scheme built into
> the cable box, although it is probably required by Encore in order for your
> cable company to provide you with content from Encore.
>
> I think you'll find all cable providers have it built-in. (although if
> someone knows an exception to this, feel free to speak up)
>
> You do not have the problem with your vcr because the vcr technology is a
> lot older, and pre-dates modern DRM (digital rights management) technology.
> There is nothing in your vcr circuitry that could be used to detect and
> prevent you from making a copy onto another device.
>
> Plus the vcr output is about 640x480, instead of hi-def, so the recording
> and movie industries aren't as willing to spend money to develop technology
> to keep you from making copies.
>
> rogerX
>
>
>
> --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Gmail" <jhnidy@> wrote:
> >
> > I have a LiteOn dvr and a Sony vcr behind my cable tuner box. The tuner
> box
> > is leased from the cable provider.
> >
> > I have discovered an interesting fact.
> >
> > I can make a tape - using the vcr - of the Encore Channel.
> > But when I try to copy Alfred Hitchcock or anything else on Encore the dvr
> > stops immediately and gives me a protected source error.
> >
> > I am not trying to get around this block and am only asking out of
> curiosity
> > but:
> >
> > Is this unique to LiteOn or will this happen no matter what brand dvr I
> buy?
> >
> > Or is it the policy of the cable provider or even Encore itself?
> >
> > I am impressed that this can be so finely tuned such that only certain
> > channels can be blocked.
> > It is a wonderful world.
> >
> > Google Jer
> > Woodhaven, Mi
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Visit Simply Computers Tech Support Group and Helpdesk (24x7). Providing
> 100% free Computer Tech Support since 1999. With over 12,000 members Simply
> Computers is one of the largest and most active Tech Support Forums on the
> Internet.
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.