WOW. I am completely shocked to report that, when I followed these instructions and enables the administrator account, and went into parental controls, I got the EXACT SAME message..."Unable to make changes to Parental Controls, if this problem persists, contact system administrator."
~Martha
--- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "RogerX19" <helpmeroger@...> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> There is a difference between the Administrator account in Vista, and a User with Administrator privileges. The Administrator account is disabeled, but you can turn it on, and use it to try to do the things you want to.
>
> Read here:
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/
>
> You said your husband is not very tech savvy, but that leaves 6 kids, who probably are. Chances are good that one of them already enabled the Administrator account, and locked YOU out!
>
>
> However, you may have picked up some malware, so you should run the free Malwarebytes' Antimalware program, available here:
>
> http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
>
> BE SURE to click on the green Download Now! button,not one of the ads.
>
> let us know
>
> rogerX
>
> --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Me" <ahandmaiden@> wrote:
> >
> > Also now having other errors that say something along the lines of "contact system administrator" or "you must be the administer to access this function" or "you do not have permission to access this function-contact system administrator" -often with regards to some settings or instillation or deinstillation...
> > ~Martha
> >
> > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Me" <ahandmaiden@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm having an odd problem with my parental controls feature. I have a number of users on my computer (I have 6 children & a husband who is not savvy using the only computer we can afford)-so I have levels of security for them and passwords for some. Abruptly some of the accounts stopped letting me in to parental controls, after prompting me to look at the reporting. I can't get in at all to see anything in those accounts-I even tried creating new ones for them. The error box comes up when I try to open the Parental Controls feature for their accounts-and says : "Unable to make changes to Parental Controls settings. If this problem persists, see your system administrator." That would be me. So, I don't know what to do with it. Through some back-door monkeying (I can't remember exactly what I did, I was poking around) I was able to see some settings on my one son's account-I had to create a password THROUGH his account, and not through my administrative controls-and in through there somewhere I was able to see his "restrictions" were set to "off"-but I could not turn them on. This means I can's restrict downloads or turn on reporting or set sites he can't visit. He's not here a lot, and I usually am here when he is, the computer is in the living room-so that's not huge. BUT, I'd like to know what happened and use it right when I want to-know where he's going and limit some content. At this point, I'm a little scared to change anything on the other kids' accounts, since they are working where they are. Jon's I had lifted restrictions because of a homework project and m not being home, an unusual thing because of my mom's illness. Anyway, the error, I'm finding poking around Google, is not too unusual, but doesn't seem to have an obvious fix. Any thoughts??
> > > ~Martha
> > >
> >
>
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/simplycomputers2
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.